EPAL EURO PALLET (EPAL 1)
The logistics world would come to a standstill without the EPAL Euro pallet. The most widely-used exchange pallet in the world. It is mainly used in Europe. Around 450 - 500 million are currently in circulation.
Length: 800 mm Width: 1,200 mm Height: 144 mm Weight: approx. 25 kg Safe working load: 1,500 kg Maximum additional load: 4,000 kg when stacking Produced according to the EPAL technical regulations
- EPAL pallets safely cross borders all over the world.
- EPAL pallets guarantee smooth transport of goods.
- EPAL pallets ensure stable storage of goods.
- EPAL pallets ensure maximum occupational safety thanks to their high quality.
- Product Sheet
3 IPPC branded marking in accordance with the national plant protection rules (mandatory since 01/01/2010 for EPAL pallets)
4 Country code
5 Registration number of the responsible Plant Protection Authority
6 Method of treatment (heat treatment)
7 EPAL control staple (mandatory)
8 Repair nail (only present if the pallet is a repaired EPAL pallet)
9 Licence number – Year – Month
If Euro pallets display one or more of the following faults, the pallets are not exchangeable and should be repaired in accordance with EPAL’s Technical Regulations.
Non-exchangeable EPAL Euro pallets:
A board is missing.
A block is missing or split in such a way that more than one nail shank is visible. Twisted blocks must not protrude more than 10 mm.
A bottom or deck board is splintered in such a way that more than one nail shank is visible.
Twisted blocks must not protrude more than 10 mm.
A board is broken transversally or diagonally.
Further features of poor general condition:
- The safe working load is no longer guaranteed (rotten and decayed, heavy splintering, damaged stringers).
- The pallet is contaminated in such a way that this may lead to the contamination of the payload.
- Heavy splintering is visible on several blocks.
- Unacceptable components have clearly been used (e.g. boards that are too thin, blocks that are too small).
EPAL Euro pallets that are not fit for use in accordance with the quality classification should be repaired in accordance with the EPAL Technical Regulations.
- EPAL Euro pallets may only be repaired by licensed repair operations.
- The repairing of EPAL Euro pallets without an EPAL licence shall be legally prosecuted.
- Only dimensionally accurate components may be used in accordance with the EPAL Technical Regulations.
- Following repair, EPAL Euro pallets should meet the quality classification for fit for use.
Compliance with the ISPM 15 standard is the most essential condition for the unrestricted use of load carriers in the international movement of goods. EPAL wooden load carriers are produced and repaired according to the strict IPPC (International Plant Protection Convention) standard and can therefore be used across borders.
- Since 01/01/2010, all newly produced EPAL Euro pallets are heat treated in accordance with ISPM 15.
- EPAL Euro pallets treated according to ISPM 15 can be recognised by the branded markings on both central blocks on the long sides.
- It is prohibited to treat EPAL Euro pallets with methyl bromide (MB).
These provisions also apply to repaired EPAL Euro pallets.
Deck boards/stringers/bottom boards
- EPAL Euro pallet boards must have a thickness of between 22 and 24 mm (stringers up to 25 mm).
- There must not be any wanes on the stringers.
- Poplar wood is not permitted for stringers.
- The bottom boards must be chamfered on the upper edge of both long sides.
Chamfered bottom boards
- The position of the 78 nails used is stipulated in order to guarantee the diagonal rigidity of the pallet.
- The nail pattern must be even and repetitive.
- In accordance with the construction standard, the nails must be positioned with the greatest possible distance between them and at least 20 mm from the edges of the components.
- All nails used to construct EPAL Euro pallets bear a head marking comprising two letters.
- Only those nails that have been approved by EPAL, and which have additionally been verified by a neutral testing institute, may be used to assemble EPAL Euro pallets.
Deck board - stringer - central block
Deck board - stringer - corner block